If you are looking for the average settlement for post concussion syndrome then you are in the right place.
A mild traumatic brain injury, a concussion happens when one gets a blow to the head. It may also occur when someone’s head and the upper body are shaken violently.
Many people think that the condition is uncommon and that it only happens in football and fights.
However, you may suffer from it if you are engaged in an accident, a bad fall, medical negligence (misdiagnosis and consequently, wrong treatment) and criminal assaults.
Signs and symptoms of the post-concussion syndrome include
- Dizziness and fatigue – Approximately 90 percent of people with post-concussion syndrome (PCS) experience fatigue.
- Anxiety, memory loss, decreased concentration, and irritability
- Blurry vision and insomnia/sleep disturbances –about 40-75 percent of people with post-concussion syndrome may suffer from sleep disturbances and other sleep challenges.
- Ringing in the ears
- A decrease in smell and taste (although it happens on rare occasions)
- Sensitivity to noise and smell – at times, even the quietest of noises may sound irritating to a person suffering from this condition.
- Tension headaches or migraines – as many as 90 percents of post-concussion syndrome patients suffer from headaches or migraines. Most of these headaches are chronic.
- Slow or delayed thinking – a common symptom in people who have suffered head injuries, delayed thinking may happen within the first three months after the occurrence of a concussion.
A person is said to suffer from post-concussion syndrome (PCS) if the symptoms remain for several weeks, months or even beyond one year following the concussion. It is estimated that 10 percent of individuals who get concussions, go on to suffer from this complex condition.
What is the average settlement amount for post-concussion syndrome?
Just like other diagnoses, one can only claim damages for PCS injury if the doctor is convinced that the personal injury is due to the accident cited as the basis of the lawsuit and he will include that information in his medical report.
In that case, if you believe that the condition was caused by the accident, yet your doctor thinks otherwise, you lack sufficient grounds to claim for damages.
Besides being able to show that you are indeed going through the pain and suffering caused by the concussion, and after that post-concussion, all your treating physicians must agree in their medical reports that the cause of your condition is the accident. Jurors love it that way, and they will make their judgment based on that.
How much is the settlement money for post-concussion syndrome? The amount you get is usually dependent on several factors such as the severity of the injuries and the cost of treating the symptoms linked to the injury.
On average, compensation for brain damage and moderate PCS ranges between $2010 and $11,640. On the other hand, more severe injuries might attract higher compensation ranging between $13,980 and $368,400.
Unfortunately, post-concussion syndrome might advance into other serious problems such as psychological and psychiatric problems, and at times, epilepsy. In case a patient of PCS develops any of these health issues, the damages are included in the claim.
If your doctor has ascertained that you are indeed suffering from PCS, then you have a right to a claim. Speak to a qualified personal injury lawyer to help you take the necessary steps.